Sunday, September 20, 2009

I finally finished them!

I may be the last person on the planet, but I finally finished the Harry Potter series!


I finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Friday night at midnight. Yes, I decided to be a total loser and spend my entire Friday night reading. But it was worth it, sooo good. Although I kind of wish now I had spread out the reading a little bit because now I'm kind of sad it's over.

I started reading the Harry Potter series last year because my roomate insisted I would like them. I had nothing against reading them, I guess I just never had the desire or time, or something. So I read the first 3 but for some reason stopped halfway through the fourth book. Then this summer my friend Ben found out I had stopped reading the series with no plan of action to get a hold of the others and finish them. He first looked at me like I was crazy, then promptly took me to his house where he grabbed the fourth book, handed it to me, and told me I had to finish them.

Well, I'm really glad he did that. The Harry Potter books really are so good! I had a ton of fun reading them. The books fully transport you to Harry's magical world. So many times while reading the books I found myself wishing I could be there at Hogwarts, living in a castle with a four poster bed and a trunk full of spellbooks. I wish I could clean my house or wash my clothes with a flick of a wand. I wish I could go on adventures and discover hidden secrets.

My favorite character was by far Dumbledore. Now, I know he's fictional so don't think I'm going crazy, but while reading the books I often wished I could be like Dumbledore. He was so wise, understanding, and witty. He could command respect without ever raising his voice. He could win any argument with his completely reasonable and witty replies. There were so many times that I re-read Dumbledore's words (really JK Rowlings) so they could sink in further. Like the time he talked about death and darkness and explained to Harry that it isn't really death or darkness we fear, but it's the unknown. So true, those of us who know what lies in store for us after this life have no real reason to fear death. I know I'm probably reading way too much into it but, dang, so good nonetheless.

While my favorite character was Dumbledore, the best character of the whole series was probably Snape. And JK Rowling did an amazing job concealing his true loyalties until the very end. You were never really sure where he stood until the very end. Awesome.

Anyway, if you haven't read them I highly recommend it. If not just for something fun to take your mind off life.

4 comments:

Don and Kelley said...

Now you have to read Hunger Games and Catching Fire! So good!

Jessica and Rod said...

You're not the last person to finish them ... I've never started them. :)
(And I will never be convinced to read them.)

Little Megs said...

Who is the author of Hunger Games? And Jessica, I used to be a hater too. One of these days... :)

Mandy and Mark said...

Suzanne Collins wrote the Hunger Games, as well as the sequel Catching Fire. They are super good books--I just bought them both! Good job on finishing Harry Potter. They are really fun books!