Monday, November 24, 2008

24-48. Wow.

I have no words for this disaster of a game. I listened to the first quarter on the radio - I was coming back to SLC from Provo - and was hearing some rediculous numbers like: # of Utah offensive yards = 160, # of BYU offensive yards = 40, # of Utah plays = 27, BYU = 8, # of Utah 3rd down conversions = a million/every time down the field, # of BYU 3rd down conversions = 0, zip, natta, 21 completed of 41 passes. Those aren't the kind of numbers that win you big games guys.

But when I showed up at Wade and Gary's apt to watch the game (with them, Erin, and my friend Amy) the tide started to turn. The score was 3-17, but we came back in pretty exciting fashion. Our first touchdown was on a run from Unga, then we scored again on an awesome deceptive play where they did a direct snap to Unga while Max Hall was yelling another play to the opposite side of the field, kinda Boise State-ish.

We kept the score close with a run from Hall for a third TD.

24-27...and then...we completely and totally SELF DESTRUCTED.

It started with a fumble from Hall in the pocket that resulted in a touchdown for Charlie. Then you name it, it happened. Pass after pass batted away. 4, count 'em 4 interceptions! (And we're lucky there weren't more), 3 said interceptions resulted in Ute touchdowns. Oy vey!!

Max Hall might as well have been wearing red. Well, I shouldn't say that. To be fair, Hall is an awesome quarterback! And I'm sure there are lots of other factors in those interceptions. And he's allowed to have an off game. It just stinks that it had to be THIS game.

Final score...oh the pain...24-48.

I was however, surprised by the lack of deriding comments from my Ute friends at church on Sunday. Could it have been the location? No, hasn't stopped them before. Maybe it was sympathy for our self destruction? No, I'm sure they liked every minute of that. Maybe they knew no words needed to be said. I mean, we know right?

Well, whatever the reason, I didn't get too much flack yesterday - BUT, just give it 'till...oh...the first "dicussion" about which school is superior. No doubt in my mind, the first line of their testimony will be this "blowout."

You just wait and see. I'll report back my findings.

No comments: