Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Super Bowl XLIII

Good game yes, but entirely NOT how I wanted it to turn out.

I did NOT want the Steelers to win. You want to know why?:

1. I always cheer for the underdog (unless they’re playing my team, in which case I want the underdog annihilated).
2. The Steelers just won the Super Bowl in 2006, and I don’t like to see dynasties on the rise (unless of course, it’s my team).
3. I know this is a totally FEMALE comment to make, but come one, the helmets? Can we get some symmetry here? Put the symbol on both sides please!
4. Despite being one of the oldest teams in the NFL, the Cardinals have only qualified for the playoffs 6 times, and have only won 5 playoff games (including this years 3 wins) Seriously, it was time for them to win.
5. The valiant efforts of Warner and Fitzgerald, daaaang.



6. And lastly, and perhaps most importantly - The Steelers win means they surpassed my team for number of Super Bowl wins and…I just didn’t want to see that.

So as we all know, despite a valiant effort by the Cardinals, it was the Steelers that came out the victor. Like one commentator said after the game, “A lot of times it’s not what you do in a game, it’s when you do it.” And the Cardinals just happened to take the lead with just under 3 minutes to play—plenty of time for the Steelers to score a touchdown and win the game. Boohoo.

Therefore, with much regret it seems I will have to say goodbye to the only record that, despite frankly terrible seasons these last 10 years, has allowed me to proudly exclaim my allegiance to the 49ers.

Don't mind me, I'll just be over here in a fetal position in the corner, sucking my thumb and clutching my 49er blanket.

No comments: