Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Songs that mean something to me - Part 1

Ok, I've always kind of liked the song Who I Am, by Jessica Andrews. Not because of any particularly genius tune or catchiness, but because I really like the words. It talks about the important things in life; about being confident in yourself; about having a family that loves you and supports you.

There have been times after high school that I felt a little sad/mad at myself that I didn't play sports in college, or even try. I felt like I was wasting my talent. More importantly, at least in my mind, I felt like I was disappointing my parents. They had spent so much time and money giving me opportunities to play sports at the highest level I wanted to play at, and here I was..wasting it. Not even using that talent to help pay for college.

But my dad, what a good guy, simply told me once that it was worth every penny to see me happy, doing the things I wanted to do. He also said that it was sports who helped shape me into the person I am today. Sports can teach young people how to work hard for something they want, how to practice, how to work as a team, respect authorities, listen to directions, and to be graceful in winning as well as losing.

Here are some of the lyrics to the song:

If I live to be a hundred
And never see the seven wonders
That'll be alright
If I don't make it to the big leagues
If I never win a grammy
I'm gonna be just fine
'cause I know exactly who I am

So when I make a big mistake
When I fall flat on my face
I know I'll be alright
Should my tender heart be broken
I will cry those teardrops knowin'
I will be just fine
'cause nothin' changes who I am

I am [Billie Lea's] granddaughter
The spitting image of my father
And when the day is done
My momma's still my biggest fan
Sometimes I'm clueless and I'm clumsy
But I've got friends that love me
And they know just where I stand
Its all a part of me
And that's who I am

It's true, I do look a lot like my father. And as far as my biggest fan? Just ask the woman who allowed her car to transform into a locker room; the one who put on her taxi cap nearly every day to make sure I was at every practice; and who attended almost every game I ever played in. I had been playing hockey for about 2 years before my parents (and grandpa) were finally able to watch me play a couple weeks ago. I think it killed them to hear me talk about it, especially with it being so new, and not be able to come watch me play.

I love you mom and dad, thanks for everything!

4 comments:

Dana said...

Thanks for being such a wonderful daughter and always making us proud to say that you were our little girl!!! Don't EVER change !!!

Jessica and Rod said...

I read Atlas Shrugged the summer I lived in Vegas. It's worth finishing.

Little Megs said...

Hahaha, thanks Jessica! I've got to find another copy now. I was borrowing my roommates, but I just moved :(

Unknown said...

I love this song too... It's like my instant self-esteem song.