Wednesday, April 20, 2011

We snowshoe for the butt-slides!

Well, this post isn't entirely about snowshoeing. I'll get to that in a second.

On Saturday I had a soccer game at 9:20am. It was a good game, but we ended up losing by one goal. Boo. I really need to work on my free kicks though. In indoor the PK's are more like in hockey meaning you can dribble before you shoot. I'm just terrible at them and I feel like I have no way to practice! Plus, girl goals count for two which adds to the pressure, and the disappointment when I miss. Oh well.

Then at 11:00 I met Mel, Shelby and her mom Lori at the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon for a snowshoe. Usually the group also includes Kate and sometimes Brittany, but Brit was out of town and Kate broke her collarbone a few weeks ago and couldn't come :( This particular trail we've hiked a few times before, but it's one of our favorite spots for butt-sliding so we keep going back.

Sample of the awesomeness below:
 

The snow was perfect on Saturday, we had a blast! Here are some pictures of the whole group from a couple months ago.

Kate, Mel, Brittany, Me, Shelby


Climbin' up! I remember this one was a pretty tough hike and the wind was really blowing. The hardest one though was when Shelby, Mel and I went up the 'Secret Trail' a few weeks after this. That was more like snow-CLIMBING! (Brittany, Lori, Kate, Shelby, and Mel.

Brittany, Kate, Me, Shelby, Lori
A taste of the beautiful views we get to see

After snowshoeing we met up with the rest of the Low family at TopIt for some ice cream.




I usually get just a little bit of ice cream with all of my toppings. Mmmm! And it's just down the street from my house!

After that I ran home, showered and got ready for Stake Conference. We had Elder C. Scott Grow of the 70 there. He talked a lot about marriage and preparing for marriage. It seems to really be a theme among the general authorities lately. In fact, Elder Grow told us that the first Thursday of every month the general authorities do a session in the temple and then have a testimony meeting. He said President Monson got up and said, "You want to know what I worry about most?" -- "Girls that don't date." Elder Grow said he mentioned the same thing 3 months in a row, then charged the GA's to carry the message. Wow, if that's what worries him most it must be a problem. I feel like they've really been focusing on the young single adults lately - like all the talks in Gen Conference about singles, and the realignment and reconstruction of singles stakes that's going to take place next week. The thing is, I agree with everything they're saying, and I know how important it is, it's just hard sometimes to apply it. I really don't think there is any shortage of desire to be married. What I have a hard time with is figuring out the balance between how much I should be doing to try to make it happen, and how much I should be relying on God's timing. Because I really think that as long as you're not sitting like a bump on a log at home all the time (and I've even seen some of them get hitched), and you're supposed to get married, it will happen in the Lord's time. It's not really something you can force.

Anyway, after SC I met up with Sara and Lis Thomas at the Broadway Theater downtown to see the new version of Jane Eyre.

It was great! I thought they did a good job of cramming what's normally a 4+ hour film into 2 without skipping too much. And the Mr. Rochester is...very handsome and has a very nice voice :) They only downfall of the movie was the ending. It was very abrupt and left me thinking, "that's IT?!!"





 So overall it was a very busy but awesome day!

No comments: