Sunday, May 18, 2008

Dad's sports advice

So my dad's pretty much awesome! Now, he's awesome for too many reasons to name, but when it comes to sports here are just a few... He was always so supportive of me, he coached my basketball teams, he was always willing to go out and play catch ( and that includes my attempts at pitching which sometimes involved hard shots to his shins. Sorry dad.), etc., etc. But the #1 reason my dad is amazing is that he gave me the two greatest pieces of sports advice I ever got.

These may not seem like anything special, but the way he said it has stuck with me through all these years of playing sports, and has helped me to always play my best. Here is some Mike Mathews sports wisdom:

1) Have a short memory. If you make a good play, forget about it. And especially if you make a bad play, forget about it. I'm the queen of making a bad play and letting it ruin the whole rest of the game, but my dad's advice has helped me get over that and on with the game.

2) No matter what...hustle. ANYONE can hustle their tail off. Even if you're having the worst game of your life, hustle, and you'll make things happen. You'll cause turnovers for the other team, you'll lift your team and make them want to work hard, and you can leave the game knowing you did your best. This especially is something I've never forgotten and let me tell you...it works!

These are also applicable to life in general. When we do something well, we can't get caught thinking we're better than others. Remember, we are dependent on God for everything we have. On the other hand, when we make mistakes we can't get down on ourselves and be overcome with feelings of low self worth. We need to pick ourselves back up and work hard. Work hard at whatever you do and you'll make good things happen.

Thanks dad!

No comments: