Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Girly girl

So anyone who knows me also knows that I'm just not the girly girl type. Let me illustrate:

1) Once when I was in high school we had a YW's activity that involved makeup, hairstyling, photo-taking, need I say more? What made it worse is that some of the leaders were REALLY looking forward to dolling me up and kept trying to lure me to the torture chamber. Luckily I had a leader who similarly felt like a fish out of water (shout out to Sis. Rosenkrantz!). So when the other leaders weren't looking Sis. R, Melissa Cowles, and I left and went to the park to play catch. It was a great night.

2) I wore the same dress to church every week during middle school. The same one.

3) A couple of months ago I decided to get new shoulder pads for hockey instead of a new skirt :)

4) I didn't start wearing makeup until I was a senior in high school and even then my mom had to use her powers of persuasion.

5)

(Just take a look at the shirts we're wearing. Start 'em early I say!)

Anyway, in my attempt to avoid all things girly, #1 on the list was this:


Ugh, every female on the planet earth has either read the book or watched the 6 hour version of it. Now I like chick movies, don't get me wrong, but it's like I always thought this one was just going too far. It's the ultimate chick flick. The epitome of girlyness. It's like The Godfather for women, EVERYONE knows it. My mom didn't watch it either though so I was spared for the first 18 years of my life. In college, I was the girl that ran from the room when it started playing hoping to not get infected by all the flowery language and love that I wasn't seeing any of. I held it up as a badge of honor that I could claim never to have watched it. That was me, until this...


It's only 2 1/2 hours so I gave it a chance and against every anti-girly girl feeling of my heart - I LOVED it! It's so good. I've seen it probably 6 or 7 times now (should I have admitted that?). Elizabeth Bennett is exactly my kind of girl. She's funny. She's witty. She's stubborn. She doesn't take any crap. AND, she gets the man! Yesss! Now, the only problem is that this is just one more movie to help me fantasize about some unrealistic man. To quote another classic chick flick, "[My] problem is [I] don't want to be in love, [I] want to be in love in a movie." Yep, that's me.

Anyway, I'm in the middle of the book now. Great. I highly, highly recommend this to my fellow anti-girly girls. Just give it a chance will ya?

No comments: