Thursday, July 10, 2008

I have a problem

The first step in conquering any problem is to admit you have one, so that’s what I’m doing. Although I’m not quite sure I want to conquer this one. See, I have a slight problem with sports equipment. I love acquiring it! (See this for a small sampling) I’m known as “equipment girl” on my ward softball team because I show up with my bag, probably 20 softballs, 2 gloves, 2 bats, cleats, batting gloves – you know, the works. And I’m kind of proud of that title. I like being known as the girl that has whatever is needed to play a sport, and maybe an extra or two so more people can participate.

But it does create a little dilemma between my rational self that knows she needs to save money, and “equipment girl” that loves new sports equipment. Here’s just a sample of what went on in my head the other day at the store.

“Equipment Girl”: Hmm, at the tournament in Lewiston I used a bat of Vanessa’s that was the perfect length and weight for me, I’d like to get one if I can find it for cheap (wander over to the sports section).

Oh look, they’re having a sale!

Rational self: Oh no. Must…resist…the…temptation…

EG: Oh, look, this one is about the same length and width as the one I was using in Lewiston. Oh! And by golly, it’s on sale!

I checked out some of the other bats (there wasn’t a huge selection though), looked at one that was the length and weight of my old bat for comparison, took a few swings (I made sure it was a wide isle, ok?!), and decided I wanted it.

RS: You really don’t need a new bat though, right?

EG: Well, technically I do because see I’ve always thought my yellow one was just a tad too long for me and I’m a little slow getting it around, so I do need it...ya, I do need it. (Start walking down the isle with it).

RS: (Stop walking) Ok, but you’ve been hitting with the yellow bat for almost 2 years now and it has worked just fine.

EG: Well, I don’t know about that. Have you seen my hitting in the last little while? Ridiculously bad.

RG: Maybe, but you hit just fine at batting practice yesterday didn’t you?

EG: Well ya.

RS: And you really shouldn’t spend any money right now Meghan.

EG: I know. But this is just so cheap! And I just know I’ll hit better with it. Better for impressing the men folk (oops, did I say that?)

I’m just gonna get it (I start walking to the register).

RS: No!

EG: Yes!

RS: No!!

EG: Yes!!!

This went on for probably 15 or 20 minutes. Literally.

RS: Oh, whatever, do whatever you want. But don’t come crying to me when the cheap bat breaks in a month and you can’t pay for your rediculously high priced gas!!

So I walked out with a bat that looked something like this:



And you know what? It worked great! Thanks “Equipment Girl” you pulled through once again!

1 comment:

Julie said...

hahaha! Oh my goodness. That's funny...and what is even funnier is that I can totally imagine you in the store trying to decide! Such dilemmas...