Sunday, July 13, 2008

Until we meet again...

Denzil Sandberg Stewart, 80, passed away July 7, 2008, in Richfield, UT.

Denzil was born March 19, 1928, in Logan, to Eugene Fitzgerald and Vilate Sandberg Stewart.

Denzil married his sweetheart, Bethy - Beth Claire Stanton - in the Logan LDS temple June 19, 1953.

Denzil grew up in the city of Logan farming with his dad and brothers. He served a full-time mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Manchester, England, from 1948 to 1950.

Denzil focused his efforts on his education and earned a degree in animal husbandry from Utah State University. Denzil served 12 years as an officer in the United States Army before turning his efforts to the business world. He then spent the better part of 40 years working as a salesman, manager, and owner of several businesses in the So. California area. Denzil was a faithful member of the LDS church, serving as branch president, bishop, high councilman, and patriarch.

Denzil was blessed with a loving, thoughtful, and hardworking nature, and an eternally optimistic attitude. He lived a strong, healthy, and happy life only to succumb to cancer at the age of 80.

Denzil and Beth were blessed with five children, Steven; Robert (Renae); Sharilee; Janilee (Larry) Pearson; and Daren (Grace). They have 13 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. He is
also survived by brothers, Reid and Roy.

He was preceded in death by his parents; son, Steven; and siblings Jerry and Kathleen.

This weekend my family and I went to Richfield, Utah for the funeral of my dad's Uncle Denzil. The service was on Friday in Richfield, and then the burial, including a 21 gun salute, was on Saturday in Logan.

When we got to the chapel for the funeral I gave Aunt Beth a hug and the first thing she told me was that Denzil still had the card I had sent him a few months ago sitting right above his bed. She then told me how much I meant to him, and that I was one of his favorite people. I was overcome. What an amazing man. I feel so privileged to have known him and felt of his love.

Uncle Denzil has always been special to me. I loved him like I love my own grandfather. He and my mom would always say that from the time I was very young it's like I was drawn to him. We would play and laugh like we were the best of friends. He always made me feel like I was someone special to him. As I got older I realized I wasn't an anomaly, Denzil treated everyone like they were the most important person in the world.

He was so fun to be around, and I always left him feeling happier. My brother affectionately called him Captain Stubing, and not without reason. I found out at the funeral that Denzil had actually played the part of The Love Boat captain on cruise ships. And apparently some guests refused to believe he wasn’t the actual actor!

He worked harder than any man I know, and literally worked until the day he was physically unable to.

Some words of wisdom that Denzil lived by:

  • In this life we should be doing and becoming, not merely surviving.
  • We should be serving others, not just serving time.
  • One of his favorite lines comes from the hymn "Come, Come Ye Saints": "Gird up your loins, fresh courage take."
  • Dream, Dare, Do!

I remember not long ago we had a get together at my dad's cousin Rob's house in Vegas. Two of Denzil's children (Rob and Daren) were there with their children as well as some of Rob's children's children. I was sitting next to Denzil when he leaned over to me, smiled, and said, "Isn't it amazing the blessings that come from two people falling in love? I never dreamed when I married my sweetheart what a beautiful family we would have." How right he was.

In march his daughter threw him an 80th birthday party. To my regret I didn’t go because I had a hockey game in Logan. I called him a few weeks later to tell him I was sorry I couldn’t be there and that I loved him. In typical Denzil fashion, he told me not to worry about it and that my commitment to the team was more important. He talked about how much fun he had at the party, and how surprised he was that so many people came. Why he was surprised I don't know, he apparently didn't realize just how popular and loved he was. He told me how surprised he was to have as guests at the party, a man and woman that he had taught while stationed in Germany. He related with pride how this couple had turned a branch into a ward in just a few years. He asked me about my dating life, unfortunately I had nothing to report, but he assured me that one day the right one would come along, and that I deserve an amazing man. I hope he’s right. I assured him that when that time came he would be one of the first one’s on the list for invitations and that he better be there. He said he wouldn’t miss it for the world. You better keep that promise Uncle Denz!

That was the last time I talked to him. When I found out he had passed away on Monday morning, I wanted to kick myself for not making the trip to see him. It was hard for me to believe he was gone because the last time I had seen him he was in perfect health. I never saw the effects of cancer on him. Then he was gone. I felt bad until Aunt Beth told me that I should be grateful I didn't see him that way. Now the Denzil that will forever be etched in my memory is the smiling, happy, fit, healthy Uncle Denzil that I always knew.

Throughout this weekend I felt the peace the gospel of Jesus Christ can bring. I know that I will see Denzil again, that he is happy now and is relieved of his pain. Now, we have only to look forward to a grand reunion when it is our turn to pass through the vail. And the reunion will be that much sweeter, knowing he will be there with open arms, a smiling face, and a warm hug.

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day." - 2 Tim. 4:7-8

(Ryan, Eric, Jared, Tyler, Jordan, Alii)



(BJ and Alii)
Burial in Logan -
(Lei, Aidan, and Tai)
(Lei and Tai)
After the burial we went to the Denzil Stewart Nature Park on 200 S 100 W in Logan.


No comments: