Thursday, June 5, 2008

99 Bottles of Beer

So our Mathews cousins from Texas had a friend who started the tradition to go to A&W on your birthday, bring as many friends as possible, and have the group drink as many beers (Mormon style) as you are old.

Well, the rest of us have adopted the tradition and have so much fun with it! My cousin Christie had a birthday on Tuesday so we met up at the A&W in Bountiful.

While it's all fun and games, there are a few rules that must be adhered to:
  1. Must occur on the actual birthday day
  2. Must be a frosty mug (none of those sissy paper cups)
  3. No ice
  4. Must drink at least one
  5. If unable to attend, find the nearest A&W and drink an honorary mug
  6. And it's kind of becoming a rule for my cousin Paul to make fun of me not being able to drink more than like 2.
Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures of Christie's A&W night, but I do have a picture of me and Preston's 22 birthday last year. Since there are 2 of us we had to drink 44 mugs! No worries though, look at the group we had!


My favorite part of this tradition though is the way everyone else has gotten into it too. I'll call a friend I haven't talked to in a while and say, "So, me and Preston's birthday is on Friday," and without even finishing my invitation, they'll respond, "Is it A&W time?!" It's great because I know that even though many of us are going our separate ways, at least once a year we can all get together to catch up and have a good time.

So when October 1st rolls around this year, plan to be at A&W! Or just drink an honorary mug to help us out. We are getting older you know :)

No comments: